Family Literacy Day- Friday January 27th

Family Literacy Day in Canada is this coming Friday.

Although I am working in the realm of Special Education this year, I can't help but think what I would do with my kiddos and their families if I was in the classroom this year.


Family Literacy Day® is a national awareness initiative created by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1999 and held annually on January 27 to raise awareness of the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family.
Taking time every day to read or do a learning activity with children is crucial to a child’s development, improving a child’s literacy skills dramatically, and can help a parent improve their skills as well.


15 minutes Friday and every day, to make literacy fun!

Parents often ask me how they can get their kiddos to read. I think the easiest way (especially when they are young), is to make it fun. And to make kids unaware that they are reading. 

In my Monday to Monday folders/ Monthly newsletters home, I would often give parents websites or ideas on how to get their children to read more. I found this great little idea list a few years ago. You can grab it HERE.


In the classroom, fun is the only way. 
Reading can seem so mundane to students. It's our job to make it fun, make it engaging and make it worthwhile. 

Christine and I have posted a few ideas in the past about how to engage kids in reading tasks.
Here are a few of my favourites.

Digital Book Reviews (HERE) and HERE

or Digital Info Videos
(Here)


Main Character Gallery Walk 

Reading Coffee House (HERE)
and HERE

Sometimes just giving students choice is more than enough. For example, using Reading Response Cards (found in our Independent Reading Boxes)
Allows students choice on how they would like to respond to a reading/book/magazine etc. I often allow them to read what they would like to read, oppose to forcing them to read a chapter book (for example) that they dread. I often receive better written responses when they are interested in the material. 


For more ideas for older kiddos, please see this blog post about interactive learning (HERE).

Whatever you choose to do to celebrate literacy tomorrow or every day, make it fun. Life's too short for photocopied worksheets and a silent classroom ;)

Happy Literacy Day!

-Kaitlin-




Comments