This Week in Grade 1/2

So it flurried today! Thank goodness it was Friday..... because if it snowed on a Monday, it would have made an even longer week. From 63 degrees F yesterday, to 36 degrees F, it sure threw the kids for a loop. Well it did in my room, anyway.

This week we finished up our measurement unit of TIME. Below are some things we did throughout the week.

 Time pockets-- The students completed clock (analog & digital) and sorted them into their appropriate pockets. The YELLOW pockets were the Grade 1's and the BLUE pockets were for the grade 2's (as they both have different expectations for TIME in the curriculum).

 We created a timeline of our typical day and KEY times for the students to know. I got this idea from Amy Lemons. So adorable!! :) Check her time package out {here}.
 Here is the Math Corner-- devoted to TIME.

 We made great use of TIME apps on the iPad this week for extra practice. These apps were free and the kids LOVED them. Super fun and very engaging.

The apps we used were:
-Interactive Telling Time - Learning to tell time is fun
-Tell Time - Little Matchups Game
-Telling Time Free

* As a group, I also used a large plastic analog clock and the kids used "The Chalkboard" app to write the digital with a partner.

Trying to change up my word study program--- trying to add new things. This week I purchased some sand and plastic plates. Two groups used playdough and the other two groups used the sand, and then we switched the next day. Love, love, love!


Gingerbread Writing Activities-- I found an online reading of The Gingerbread Man.

 Then, I gave each student a small gingerbread man and we brainstormed descriptive words.
I found some great freebies at Lori Rosenberg's Blog: Teaching with Love and Laughter.
Just love her ideas!
 We organized and coloured our gingerbread as we ate it-- each colour indicating our first, second, third and fourth bites. Then, with focus on the organization trait, we drew pictures of "How I Eat a Gingerbread Cookie" using the words First, Then, Next, and Last.


Christine and I have been working on a Winter writing activity and craft. Our goal is to have it up by December 1st! Very excited on how it's turning out :) Stay tuned.

Have a great weekend, everyone. And Happy Thanksgiving to all of our American Friends :)

Comments

  1. I love how you're doing the gingerbread activity! Thanks so much for letting me know. I love seeing pictures of other people's students doing my activities. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling! LOL! Thanks for the photo show!
    ΡΌ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment