I {Heart} EARTH DAY!

I Love Earth Day! It's one of those days that plants a small seed of hope and change into everyone. I love the spirit in my kiddos eyes, wanting so badly to talk about ways we can help the Earth. We are celebrating Earth Week in my room.

Today was Earth Week's Kickoff!
Here's a peek at our day in Grade 1/2...
We created our class poster to hang outside of our door :)


We then had shared in a Read Aloud. A little one in my class has been asking me to read this {Step Into Reading Book} since last week. Today was the day :) Adorable book with cute ideas!

The next activity was one of my FAVOURITE activities of the day..... An Earth Day Scavenger Hunt!!
My kids LOVED this activity!!!




In Music, my kids learned the lyrics to the song
"What a Wonderful World".
I found this great slideshow with lyrics on YouTube :)



I added the lyrics to their Monday to Monday Folders to practise at home.

At the end of the day, we cleaned up our schoolyard. My favourite lines as we picked up garbage:
-"Oh my gosh Miss, there is so much garbage! People need to start caring more! Sheesh!"
-"People need to love the Earth more, eh Miss?"
-"How can someone just throw garbage on ground. It's so rude!"
-"I bet the Earth is smiling now, Miss". 
{THEY ARE SO CUTE!}

We finished the last 15 minutes of the day reading The Lorax.
We stopped at the Lorax asking the Once-ler to stop cutting down the Trees.
"I'm the Lorax who speaks for the trees which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please. But I'm also in charge of the Brown Bar-ba-loots who played in the shade in their Bar-ba-loot suits and happily lived, eating Truffula Fruits. NOW...thanks to your hacking my trees to the ground, there's not enough Truffula Fruit to go 'round. And my poor Bar-ba-loots are all getting the crummies because they have gas, and no food, in their tummies!"

On tap for tomorrow....
Continue our Earth Day Five Pack Activities :)
*Make a word
*Looking deeper into Reduce/Recuse/Recycle
*Earth Day Shape Poem (From our Poetry Pack)
*I {heart} the Earth Craftivity
*Music/Dance- What a Wonderful World


HAPPY EARTH DAY, EVERYONE!!
~Kaitlin~

Follow us on FACEBOOK :)




Comments