National Autism Awareness Day

Today in Canada is
NATIONAL AUTISM AWARENESS DAY!
Our school board "lit it up blue" to show our support.
 Christine & Silvana sporting their blue for Austism Awareness Day!
 18/20 of my students wore blue! Great support!
Kaitlin

Light it up!
Here are some great read alouds for kids that we read today:
My kids loved this book! It also has some great questions for the kids at the end it, as well as activities you can do with your class. My students had great questions and many of them knew someone with Autism. It definitely hit home for them.


Here are some excerpts from this book:
I have a friend with autism. He is good at many things.
My friend's ears work really well. He can hear sounds I may not even hear. He is almost always the first one to hear an airplane or a train coming. This is why he sometimes covers his ears even when things don't seem loud to me. ...
My friend is very smart. He is good at counting, the alphabet, and many other things. He knew the letters of the alphabet even when he was a little boy. My friend likes when we play with letters and numbers, like when we spell or count.
Just like me, my friend is good at playing. He especially loves to play with cars, trucks, trains, and things that spin. Sometimes he plays differently than I do, so I watch the way he plays and then I try to do what he is doing, right next to him. Sometimes he will watch me play and then he might try doing what I like to do.
Talking is sometimes hard for my friend. But when he doesn't talk, my feelings are not hurt because I understand that talking is hard for him. Sometimes I can even help him by suggesting some words he might want to say.
Just like me, my friend does many things very well, and some things are hard for him. And just like me, my friend with autism loves to have friends!
Check out this recent news release:



Facts and Stats
Did you know...
  • Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys (March 2012 statistic)
  • The 2012 numbers reflect a 78% increase in reported prevalence in the last 6 years
  • Autism prevalence figures are growing
  • Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
  • There is no medical detection or cure for autism

Become Aware

For more info please click below:

  

Comments