Last Day of Work..... Adventure Awaits

Oh, how bittersweet it is. Today marked the last day of work with the kiddos for me, as I prepare for the birth of my new babe.
I have the sweetest class this year, so it was tough to say goodbye. But great new adventures await, and I am so looking forward to it all.
Our last day was jam packed with tying up loose ends and  making sure our last day together was memorable.
I wanted to share one activity that we did today, that is one I will most definitely keep in my back pocket for future use.
Suspense Story Reading--Digital Lounge
At the end of October, my students worked on Narratives (particularly Suspense Stories). They loved writing these stories. We worked on the entire writing process, plot structure and dove into descriptive word work and editing and revising techniques. (See post here).They put a lot of work into these stories. Since then, we have moved on....but these stories have still been on my mind and there's. Soooo..... since we are continuously working on Oral Communication Skills (tone, expression.... etc.) I decided to bring them back!
 I laminated each of their stories and had them use the lessons we have completed on "strong & effective ways to communicate" to record their stories. They each brought in a device (some students shared with others-- so we didn't depend on the schools resources and have to worry about signing them out, etc.). They were challenged to add sound effects and additional features that would enhance their digital story.
Oh my goodness! They did a phenomenal job. So much so, that today I hosted a Digital Story Listening Lounge!
Here's how it ran....
 I had the students put an independent book to read on the back table (all kiddos did this). I also had snacks and drinks at the back table, as well. This area acted as a "pit stop" for our listening lounge.

On each desk, the students left their written Suspense Story and their device with their recorded story.
*Each student brought their own personal headphones to class*

Each student rotated around with their "peer evaluation sheets" listening to as many stories as they could and provided feedback.




Since there was more than one story recorded on some devices (students who shared), there were not enough devices for each student to listen to. This is where the pit stop came into play. If you didn't have a place to read/listen to a story, you were to head to the 'pit stop' for a light snack and some independent reading.
The kids were VERY focused the ENTIRE time. No one talked. No one goofed around. Every-single-student was engaged. My plan was only to run this activity for 30-40 min., but it ended up lasting a little under an hour. They were so 'into it' that I didn't want to disrupt them.
At the end of the hour, I collected the stories and the peer feedback sheets and attached them to each other for review before I hand them back.
How I know I hooked them......
After this block of time, it was recess. Many kids asked to listen to a few stories they didn't get to during indoor recess.
My teacher heart is full.
And my time in this classroom is complete.
~Kaitlin~

Comments

  1. What a wonderful activity! All the best on your next adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend!! :) Looking forward to it. XO
      Muah!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful work Kaitlin! I am in awe at your amazing and inspiring ideas. Congratulations and best of luck on your next adventure! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your an amazing teacher!
    Love ya friend!
    Dar
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dar! Love my job.... love ya too! :)

      Delete
  4. Love it!! Super awesome as always! You never cease to amaze me with your fantastic ideas!! I've got some supersize shoes to fill lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqui! You will rock this 6/7 class. I am UBER happy you are taking the reigns!
      The kiddos are going to love you xo

      Delete

Post a Comment