A step back in time, after a week away.

Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs!


Fun in first grade!  What I love about first grade is how you can take any topic and turn it into fun learning. I can pick any topic and use to to teach language, math, visual arts science.  I can use topics that grab the students' interest and use it to make learning creative and engaging.

Here is what we are working on the first week back from our March Break.

Making Dinosaur eggs out of crushed oreo's and rice krispies and melted marshmallows. The recipe was so easy to follow and the class absolutely loved making these eggs. I put butter on the students' hands before they were given the batter to work. The recipe suggests a mold for the egg shape, but I found they didn't need a mold to shape the rice krispie treats into an egg.
The recipe for Dinosaur Rice Krispie Treat can be found at:
 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53409945555686747/






I found some great stories on youtube about dinosaurs and the students love these quick fact filled little movies. We have been watching one a day at the end of our literacy time. The video's are called "I'm a Dinosaur" and they have a video for different species of dinosaurs. 


These are math and language centers that I made over the march break from  TPT. There were so many to choose from, that you would need to look and pick a package that meets the needs of your little learners. 

For writing, I was thrilled to find out that my new favourite sentence puzzle activity had dinosaur themed pages. I came across this by accident and it restored my faith in believing
things happen for a reason. lol 

If I haven't shared already this sentence puzzle package with you yet, here it is. I hope you love it as much as I do. My students are very weak readers and writers and this is an excellent tool for all my students. 



The launch to our Dinosaur math, was having the students make a dinosaur pet with a spike pattern. They were given plenty of materials and I told to make a pattern. I was able to assess the students on how they described and used the different attributes in their patterns. We added feet to them so their pets could stand up on their desks. 


There is lots more to our Dinosaur Adventure , check back to see what else we have discovered and dug up....






Here is what is just around the corner in April



More details to follow this weekend. 

Christine






Comments